Re: grub and gpt

Le Lun 11 février 2013 17:09, dAgeCKo a écrit :

> Hello,
>

> Several (about 9) months ago, when I updated grub from squeeze to
> wheezy, it failed to boot my system (GPT, 2To) so I kept grub at the
> squeeze version (1.98+20100804).
>
> Now that wheezy is coming more and more stable, I want to know if there
> are any bad luck that the new grub (1.99-26) will also fail to boot my
> system, or is it totally safe fore me to update it ? Or maybe should I add
> other packages (like the grub-efi-amd64) ?
>
> Any hints about this ? I would like something sure if possible (mainly
> if some people had the same issue), because I would like to avoid to repair
> the boot loader for X reasons.
>
> Thanks.

The only problem I am aware with grub 2 is that it is messy to configure
by hand, but it worked out of the box last time I used it (I am now using
lilo, so..).

IIRC, when you install it, it does not remove the old one, and the system
first boot on old one, which just chain the boot on the new. So, if it
works, you can then remove the old one, and everything will be fine.