[SOLVED] Re: Sharing mail data

On 13-02-09 05:12 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Frank McCormick wrote:
   Well I was hoping there would be a simple way to tell Thunderbird
to read/write from mail data on another partition. Maybe that's not
possible ?

I don't use Thunderbird so I don't know but...

Use a 'bind' mount to just mount the Thunderbird directories from the
other location into the "canonical" location.  Bind mounts can mount
different parts of the file system to a new location making them
appear there physically.  Then Thunderbird won't know the difference.

Something like:

   mount -o bind /media/sda2/home/linux-fan/.thunderbird /home/linux-fan/.thunderbird

Or whatever you need to make the mount happen.  I would move the
target directory out of the way first or the bind mount will shadow
it.  Better if it is an empty directory.

   mv /home/linux-fan/.thunderbird /home/linux-fan/.thunderbird.previous
   mkdir /home/linux-fan/.thunderbird
   mount -o bind ...the above bind mount command...

    Well great! That apparently does it -
    I renamed .thunderbird to .thunderbird.bak
    created an empty .thunderbird
sudo mount -o bind /media/sda2/home/frank/.thunderbird /home/frank/.thunderbird

then ran thunderbird. Seems to work perfectly. Even with the bind parameter will a regular umount command work ? I'll look though mount manual.
I guess I'll create a small script to do all the grunt work :)

Thanks Bob and Linux-Fan

--
Cheers
Frank