Re: OT: just falling back to fluxbox after Gnome3 mem-leak experince

On 02/08/2013 06:09 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
viskup@viskup:~$ awk '/Name|VmSize|VmPeak/' /proc/4186/status
Name:   gnome-shell
VmPeak:  3537456 kB
VmSize:  3403068 kB
That doesn't show a memory leak.
Indeed, but we're talking about 3GB of memory here, which seems hard to
justify for such an application.

awk '/Name|VmSize|VmPeak/' /proc/$(pidof gnome-shell)/status
Name:	gnome-shell
VmPeak:	 1250636 kB
VmSize:	 1190912 kB
More than 1GB also sounds excessive, so you seem to be suffering from
the same problem.

Of course, maybe this is not a problem, it is just an artifact of
gnome-shell sharing a lot of memory with other applications, so it's not
actually eating up all your RAM.  But this explanation seems unlikely.

I think it deserves a bug report.

         Stefan

I just search for gnome3 and memory leaks and found there were some of them fixed in latest 3.6 too. Didn't have time and energy search for more information.

One for all:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F15_bugs#System_memory_in_use_rises_constantly_.28memory_leak.29_when_using_GNOME_Shell

This probably help somebody of you who do not shutdown desktop/laptop every time.
It consumed all my RAM and swap...

--
Peter Viskup