Re: Getting freepascal to work

On 06/02/13 06:11 AM, Johann Spies wrote:
After many years of not working with Pascal, I want to use it again.

When testing out the postgresql connection using an example (testpg2.pp) in the documentation I can compile it with the original Makefile, but not when I want to complie a 64-bit binary on my Debian. The Makefile seems to use 32-bit compilation.

The error I am regularly getting is (from both the fp and fpc that it cannot find the unit postgres.

So after a lot of experimentation I added

-Fu/usr/share/fpcsrc/2.6.0/packages/postgres/src/  in /etc/fpc.cfg.

Now  the compilation ends with

Searching file /usr/share/fpcsrc/2.6.0/packages/postgres/src/dllist.pp... found
dllisttypes.inc(33)  Back in dllist.pp
(DLLIST)   Loading implementation units from DLLIST
dllist.pp(29,1) (DLLIST)   Parsing implementation of DLLIST
dllist.pp(32,1) Error: Can't create object file: /usr/share/fpcsrc/2.6.0/packages/postgres/src/dllist.o dllist.pp(32,1) Fatal: Can't create object /usr/share/fpcsrc/2.6.0/packages/postgres/src/dllist.o Searching file /usr/share/fpcsrc/2.6.0/packages/postgres/src/postgres.pp... found
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/bin/ppcx64 returned an error exitcode (normal if you did not specify a source file to be compiled)

Do I first have to comple the package postgres before I use it?

Will this be the case for all the units?

Regards
Johann

I've been using Pascal on and off since 1978 - Apple Pascal, Turbo Pascal, Delphi and now Free Pascal using the Lazarus IDE. I can't comment on your specific problem because I've had no problems compiling to 32bit and 64bit executables using Lazarus.

If you're not using Lazarus, you may want to install it. It certainly makes life easier. It recently reached v1.0 so it's "mature" and stable. It's also multi-platform, so I can compile Windows executables and run them under Wine for Linux and Mac support. In fact, I can do this from Linux or from a Windows virtual machine.