Re: how to get missing multimedia packages

On Sun, 2013-02-03 at 13:05 -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 02:49:22PM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Rob Owens wrote:
> >
> > >I recommend you use the third-party deb-multimedia repository for those
> > >packages.  I have them both installed from that repo and I've never had
> > >any problems.  In fact, that repo has never given me any problems.  Of
> > >course I'd prefer if I could get everything I want from Debian's main
> > >repo, but currently that's not possible for me.
> >
> >   I was rather reluctant to use a repo relying on only one man, but for the
> >   moment that seems easier than trying to compile every missing program.
> >   Do you have a preference file to set the priorities of debian /
> >   deb-multimedia repos? And if yes, what is its content?
> >
> I've reported bugs in packaging to Christian on the mailing list, and
> he's fixed them in 1 or 2 days.  I guess he never goes on vacation...
>
> I don't use any pinning for deb-multimedia.  I suppose if you wanted you
> could pin it to 200 if you wanted to prevent apt from "updating"
> packages in debian main with packages from deb-multimedia.  There are a
> couple of packages that exist in both repos,

There seems to be a lots of packages in both repos, deb-multimedia has
its own version of loads of the AV libraries and it uses a higher epoch
in the version number to force them to be preferred over the official
libraries.

Basically, without using pinning to stop apt pulling in deb-multimedia
packages you will get quite a few unofficial packages. (On my fairly
minimal LXDE install 19 packages would be 'upgraded' if I deleted my
pinning - which is to the following in /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: origin www.deb-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 100

--