Re: how to get missing multimedia packages

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 02:49:22PM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Rob Owens wrote:
>
> >I recommend you use the third-party deb-multimedia repository for those
> >packages.  I have them both installed from that repo and I've never had
> >any problems.  In fact, that repo has never given me any problems.  Of
> >course I'd prefer if I could get everything I want from Debian's main
> >repo, but currently that's not possible for me.
>
>   I was rather reluctant to use a repo relying on only one man, but for the
>   moment that seems easier than trying to compile every missing program.
>   Do you have a preference file to set the priorities of debian /
>   deb-multimedia repos? And if yes, what is its content?

I've reported bugs in packaging to Christian on the mailing list, and
he's fixed them in 1 or 2 days.  I guess he never goes on vacation...

I don't use any pinning for deb-multimedia.  I suppose if you wanted you
could pin it to 200 if you wanted to prevent apt from "updating"
packages in debian main with packages from deb-multimedia.  There are a
couple of packages that exist in both repos, because deb-multimedia has
additional features enabled that Debian doesn't allow for reasons of
legality, free-ness, etc.

-Rob