Re: a tool to have specific images on X root window

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:

> Le 18.01.2013 21:42, Erwan David a écrit :

> xloadimage is perfect, thanks a lot!
> I did not found any xroot software, but there is a "$xrootconsole $image
> -onroot", but this one simply writes a file on root window, but in a raw
> form. Nice for text, I guess it could be useful to draw informations from
> sensors, by example.
> Thanks for both those tools.
>

>>> feh (depends upon imlib2)...
>>>

>>> --
>>> Javier.
>>>

>> Must come from one of the graphic format decoding library...
>

> feh is not able to draw stuff on root window, as far as I know? I'm already
> using it as my viewer, and I like it, and have not found anything related to
> such feature.
>

> Thanks anyway.

Have you tried the background setting options?  In the man page:

BACKGROUND SETTING
     feh can also be used as a background setter.  Unless you pass the
--no-fehbg option, it will store the command line necessary to set the
     background in ~/.fehbg, so to have your background restored every
time you start X, you can add "eval $(cat ~/.fehbg)" to your X startup
     script (like ~/.xinitrc).

     Note that all options except --bg-tile support Xinerama.  For
instance, if you have multiple screens connected and use e.g.
--bg-center,
     feh will center the image on each screen.  You may even specify
more than one file, in that case, the first file is set on screen 0,
the
     second on screen 1, and so on.

     Use --no-xinerama to treat the whole X display as one screen when
setting wallpapers.

     --bg-center
             Center the file on the background.  If it is too small,
it will be surrounded by a black border
     --bg-fill
             Like --bg-scale, but preserves aspect ratio by zooming
the image until it fits.  Either a horizontal or a vertical part of
the
             image will be cut off
     --bg-max
             Like --bg-fill, but scale the image to the maximum size
that fits the screen with black borders on one side.
     --bg-scale
             Fit the file into the background without repeating it,
cutting off stuff or using borders.  But the aspect ratio is not
preserved
             either
     --bg-tile
             Tile (repeat) the image in case it is too small for the screen
     --no-fehbg
             Do not write a ~/.fehbg file

I've used just "--bg-fill" and it works quiet well for me.

--
Javier.