Re: File descriptor 9 and VLC.

Replying from archive since I'd deleted the original ...

> peter@dalton:~$ lsof /home/peter/*.WAV
> COMMAND   PID  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF    NODE NAME
> vlc 10888 peter 9u REG 8,6 20470 3612711 /home/peter/M1357873276.WAV
>
> man lsof explains,
> "The mode character is followed by one of these lock  charac-
>   ters, describing the type of lock applied to the file:
>   u for a read and write lock of any length;"

I think you've skipped too far ahead in the man page.

"FD is followed by one of these characters, describing the mode under which the file is open:
r for read access;
w for write access;
u for read and write access;
space if mode unknown and no lock
     character follows;
`-' if mode unknown and lock
     character follows.

So u in this case is read/write access, and there's no lock character.

Richard