Java plugin on iceweasel

I am having problems getting the java plugin to work on a particular site with iceweasel esr on wheezy.  Following Debian specific instructions, I created a .deb then sym linked to /usr/lib/jvm/j2re1.7-oracle/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so  in both the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins folders. The Java site, iceweasel and the site in question all recognize java as working. But after the java animation plays, the page shows "no image" instead of loading the document.

Then I was advised that libnpjp2.so was for 64-bit (even though it was in the 32-bit folder) and that I should link to /usr/lib/jvm/j2re1.7-oracle/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_oji.so for 32-bit. But iceweasel doesn't recognize that at all.  Image loading permissions in about:config and preferences are OK. So just which file do I need to link to for the 32-bit java browser plugin to work on iceweasel?

FWIW, chromium and chrome have no problems with libnpjp2.so and can display documents as expected but I would rather use iceweasel.  Is there a remedy for this?  Please help!