HP printing issue

I have an HP 2055DN printer connected to an office network. I have two XP workstations and two Windows 7 workstations all running a proprietary Windows-only package. For some reason, the XP computers can't print directly to the printer via the network but are able to print to through a Debian/Squeeze server running CUPS.

Unfortunately, the proprietary software seems to lose the rightmost character on print lines that run to the right margin when printing through CUPS to this printer (but not when printing to a different printer connected via USB to the server).

I don't see any way to adjust the print margins (the possible cause of the problem) under CUPS.

Any ideas anyone?