Re: Install from DVD set

cletusjenkins to "Ralf Mardorf"
---- On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:22:08 -0800 Ralf Mardorf<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote ----

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:10:45 +0100, <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
> > Le 15.01.2013 15:12, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> >> If you now will install a package with dependencies, Synaptic will
> >> ask you to insert Disc x of y, IOW you now are a DJ ;).
> >
> > Maybe he can make some iso files from DVD, auto mount them at start-up,
> > to avoid to become Charlie Chaplin of computers? :D
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-mount-iso-image-under-linux.html
>
> I don't have synaptic at hand right now, I don't know if it's possible to
> add loop device or repositories on an internal hard disk to
> synaptic's/apt's repos.

I found this old posting that describes using images of your disks with apt:

here's the relevant text from it:

if you have enough diskspace, just copy all the ISO images to your disk.
1. Edit your fstab to read...

/cd-image-dir/disk1.iso /debian-disks/1 iso9660 defaults,ro,loop 0 0
/cd-image-dir/disk2.iso /debian-disks/2 iso9660 defaults,ro,loop 0 0
/cd-image-dir/diskXX.iso /debian-disks/XX iso9660 defaults,ro,loop 0 0

2. Edit your sources.list to read:

deb file:/debian-disks/1/debian main <sections that you want>
deb file:/debian-disks/2/debian main <sections that you want>
deb file:/debian-disks/XX/debian main <sections that you want>

3. apt-get update

Now you will be able to do everything without having to pop in your CDs
everytime.

HTH,

-Suraj