Re: Install from DVD set

Le 15.01.2013 15:12, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:37:37 +0100, Richard Owlett
<rowlett@cloud85.net>  wrote:

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:51:41 +0100, Richard Owlett
<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
1. After an install completed, how do I scan the other 7
DVD's so Synaptic knows about all available packages?

http://www.slideshare.net/linuxnandha/how-to-add-dvd-repositories-in-ubuntu-4503966

That page evidently addresses the issue. BUT ;/
It's not really useable for me at home on a dial-up connection with a browser with JavaScript intentionally disabled.

Oops :D

In Synaptic:

Settings -> Repositories -> Tab: Third-Party Software -> Click on the
"Add  CD-ROM" button.

It will ask for the DVD. Insert the DVD and press "Ok".
When the CD or DVD is loaded click on the Apply Button of the main Window.
Then repeat this for every CD or DVD.
That's all.

IIRC, adding sources from DVD/CD is also possible with apt-cdrom. About how I discovered it, it is because I like to tinker my system, and once tried to add a dvd image in sources.list. When I did the update, apt said: "you should use apt-cdrom to register external sources" or something like that.

As this technique is using a command-line program, you can script it. But I have no idea about pre-seeding, never tried that. One day, I will, probably, but I can not say when :D

If you now will install a package with dependencies, Synaptic will
ask you  to insert Disc x of y, IOW you now are a DJ ;).

Maybe he can make some iso files from DVD, auto mount them at start-up, to avoid to become Charlie Chaplin of computers? :D