Re: Installing Debian on an SSD

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Grześ Andruszkiewicz wrote:
> > > Does the Debian installer work out of the box for SSDs?
> >
> > Wheezy 7.0, yes.  Squeeze 6.0, no.
>
> Sorry, Bob, but I disagree.

I could be wrong.  :-)

The part in particular I am thinking of is the installer partitioning
the SSD disk.  I didn't think the Squeeze installer did 4k byte
alignment.  I thought it did only 512 byte alignment.  If the
partitions are not aligned then performance will suffer.  Since as far
as I know all SSD devices use 4k alignments.

> I installed Squeeze on an SSD both four months ago on my own new box
> and last weekend on my husband's, both times with no issues at all
> that were due to the SSD.

I run Squeeze just fine on my SSD too.  But I recall that I needed to
force the alignment prior to installing.

Could you check your disk alignment?

  # sfdisk -d /dev/sda

Bad (for SSDs, okay for spinning disks):
  /dev/sda1 : start=       63, size=   995967, Id=83
Good:
  /dev/sda1 : start=     2048, size=   997376, Id=83

If it says 2048 and you didn't do anything to force it then I am wrong
and Squeeze supports it okay.  And thank you for correcting me.  :-)

I had remembered needing to force the alignment.  But maybe that was
in the previous release and I am simply confusing the two.  I am sure
that the Wheezy 7.0 installer sets up the alignment properly.

> The only "problem" was that I do net installs, and there was a
> driver issue with the ethernet card on the newer box.  But that is a
> motherboard problem, not an SSD one.
>
> I did not install Gnome, which may, of course, be relevant.

I agree that neither of those is relevant.

Bob