Re: What happens when you upgrade a package with modified config files?

David Guntner wrote:
> Dom grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> > On 08/01/13 19:25, David Guntner wrote:
> >> If, as someone else replied, it at least leaves a copy of the new config
> >> file behind with a .new extension or whatever, then I guess I can at
> >> least go through the process manually.  What fun!<grin>
> >
> > It does. If you choose to retain your customised file it will save the
> > new version with a ".dpkg-new" extension (iirc), and if you choose to
> > replace your config it'll save your version with ".dpkg-old" on the end.
>
> Cool, that's good to know.  Thanks!
>
> > (I think I got those the right way around)
>
> <fingers crossed> :-)

After upgrade you should look for all of the configuration files that
are different and deal with them as you desire.  I always remove or
move the extra ones out of the way so that I can look through the etc
directory easier in the future and not need to look at the same files
again and again.

After an upgrade look for files:

  find /etc -name '*.dpkg*' -print
  find /etc -name '*.ucf*' -print

The name will make it obvious where it is old or new.  foo.dpkg-new or
foo.dpkg-old or foo.dpkg-dist and so forth.  The "ucf" files are the
same thing but that use the ucf (Update Configuration File) program to
manage this instead of dpkg.

Bob