Re: What happens when you upgrade a package with modified config files?

On Tuesday 08 January 2013 19:39:40 Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > > - If you have modified the configuration, most interfaces will give
> > >
> > >   you a diff between your current configuration and ask what to do.  I
> > >   typically open up a different session and use vim/emacs to merge the
> > >   two sets of changes at this point.
> >

> > You mean there will be a bunch of .diff files for you to have to look
> > through?  Or something else?
>
> No - it will prompt interactively during installation. There are
> options on apt/dpkg to avoid the prompts by always doing either (a)
> install the new version or (b) leave the config file untouched.

Which is not very handy for casual users. Which is why I proposed a tool to
migrate user's configuration with new package configuration. [1]

But I cannot push this further all by myself.

All the best

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/PackageConfigUpgrade

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/