Re: Now won't boot (was: Re: Squeeze assembles one RAID array, at boot but not the other

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 01:42:24 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

>>> Does seem to be a good reason.  I can't remember what is in the bin
>>> directories of an initrd bootstrapping image.  Pretty sure there is at
>>> least something in /sbin though.  And noting that for the most part I
>>> think you will be working out of a busybox shell which is used to
>>> reduce the amount of file system storage space needed in that early
>>> boot time environment.
>>
>> Would it really be complaining about missing /sbin/init on the initrd
>> ramdisk, or about /sbin/init being missing on the real root partition,
>> which could be caused by not having mounted it yet?
>
> There isn't a "/sbin/init" in the initramfs. There's "/init", a shell script.
>
> You've reached the point where the initramfs expects the root fs to
> have been moved. It seems to have failed but I don't understand why
> there's an empty "/sbin" rather than no "/sbin".

I've taken the initrds apart for the kernel that boots and the kernel
that doesn't boot.  They both seem to have everything they ought to and
not the empty directories I'm seeing.

That isn't the problem.

 I now suspect that somehow it's seeing the wrong root partition or
failing to see one at all and not noticing it.  Maybe even a root-like
partition that's lacking most of what it needs.  Where that root partition
comes from I don't know.

Looking into that I examined the lilo configuration.  Now I'm not sure
this is indeed the lilo configuration that my successful boot floppy
was made from, but the specification of the root partition is different
in the stanzas for the old and new kernels.  It, of course, shouldn't be.

While keeping the successful boot floppy read-only, I'll use another floppy
to run some recombitant variations of the different ways of specifying
root partitions and find out which works.

I've made too many changes in the system in the past few months, removing and
adding hard drives, and it looks as if not everything was updated properly.

Thanks for all the help so far; I really needed to know about the mdadm
configuration and rebuilding initrd stuff.  Now it looks as if I just need
to debug my own boot configurations for grub and lilo.

I will keep you posted.

-- hendrik