Re: Where does $MAIL get set?

One last followup, in case anyone researching something similar notices
he same semi-problem....

David Guntner grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> Found the section in /etc/pam.d/login (and the corresponding one in
> /etc/pam.d/su) which reads:
>
> # Prints the status of the user's mailbox upon succesful login
> # (Replaces the `MAIL_CHECK_ENAB' option from login.defs).
> #
> # This also defines the MAIL environment variable
> # However, userdel also needs MAIL_DIR and MAIL_FILE variables
> # in /etc/login.defs to make sure that removing a user
> # also removes the user's mail spool file.
> # See comments in /etc/login.defs
> session    optional   pam_mail.so standard
>
> Read up on "man pam_mail" and found what needs to be changed there to
> point it to the right directory within a user's home directory and
> tested it.  $MAIL now points where it should - w00t! :-)

Well, it works, *almost* perfectly.  If I login via SSH or on the
console in a virtual terminal (alt-F1, etc.), it works just fine.  But
for some reason, if I login directly via the GUI login manager (I'm
using KDE; don't know if Gnome does this or not), then the $MAIL
variable ends up completely empty.  It's probably been doing this all
along and I just never noticed it until I had made the change to Maildir
and started looking around.  If I open up any kind of shell window
within the GUI that was logged into, doing an "echo $MAIL" brings back
an empty response.  I can actually go so far as to do a

su - {myself}

and then an "echo $MAIL" it has the correct value.  It's almost like
somehow logging in via the KDM manager (again, haven't tested with GDM
since I don't use Gnome, so I don't know if the problem is repeatable
there), it misses that part of the PAM authentication/setup or otherwise
just doesn't bother to pass that variable along.  So I ultimately did
have to create a file in /etc/profile.d that sets $MAIL and exports it.
 Now, even when logging in directly to the GUI, "echo $MAIL" shows what
it should. :-)

                --Dave