Re: Debian Wheezy is not booting after install

On 01/08/2013 09:46 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Steve Dierker wrote:
>> I have a little file server running on an Intel Atom with 2GB
>> Ram.
>
> Sounds good.
>
>> It has 4 1TB hard drives, two of them connected to the internal
>> SATA controller
>
> Should be okay.
>
>> and two of them connected to an SiliconImage 3114 controller in
>> the PCI-Slot.
>
> Probably okay.  But there have been problems with drivers on some
> cards.  Probably okay but approach cautiously.
>
>> My problem is: I install the system without any error or
>> complications but when I boot the system it always hangs when
>> starting grub. The last things displayed are:
>>
>> GRUB loading. Welcome to GRUB!
>>
>> Thats all. So does anyone of you has an idea why this happens?
>
> That is immediately before when grub will then clear the screen and
> display either a text menu or a graphical menu.  I always prefer a
> text menu for reliability.  It may be trying to use a graphical
> menu and failing to do so.  I forget how these are selected at
> installation time.
>
> Note also that the installation media may be used as rescue media
> after system installation time.  I am not quite sure the right
> combination to suggest but I would boot into rescue mode, start a
> shell in the system environment, and then edit the grub boot
> options. I am thinking set GRUB_TERMINAL=console in
> /etc/default/grub and then run update-grub to re-freeze that
> configuration.  But perhaps something different would be more
> appropriate.
>
>> Does it have anything to do with the external SATA controller?
>
> It is not yet clear based upon the data so far.  It might be.  Or
> it might be a problem with the graphical screen from grub.
>
> Since you are freshly installing and have no data already on these
>  disks I suggest an experiment to eliminate the possibilities.  I
> would unplug the PCI card and unplug all of the disks leaving just
> one single disk plugged into the SATA port.  Then install again.
> I would not select any desktop environment so that it will install
> more quickly and since it is not needed since this is a throwaway
> test.  If it works and you get to the grub menu and all is good
> then you have a point to start.  Then add in one thing at a time
> and repeat.  This will allow you to diagnose where things are
> failing.
>
> Bob

So, that’s what I tested today.
I decided to check the SiliconImage SATA controller first, so I
unplugged it from the mainboard including both hard drives connected
to it.
Then I booted the system and voilà GRUB was appearing normaly and I
could but the system with some failures because two hard drives where
missing.

Ok, so grub has a problem with the SiliconImage controller. But is
there anyway to fix that?

thanks,
Steve