Re: Debian Wheezy is not booting after install

Steve Dierker wrote:
> I have a little file server running on an Intel Atom with 2GB Ram.

Sounds good.

> It has 4 1TB hard drives, two of them connected to the internal SATA
> controller

Should be okay.

> and two of them connected to an SiliconImage 3114 controller in the
> PCI-Slot.

Probably okay.  But there have been problems with drivers on some
cards.  Probably okay but approach cautiously.

> My problem is: I install the system without any error or complications
> but when I boot the system it always hangs when starting grub.
> The last things displayed are:
>
> GRUB loading.
> Welcome to GRUB!
>
> Thats all.
> So does anyone of you has an idea why this happens?

That is immediately before when grub will then clear the screen and
display either a text menu or a graphical menu.  I always prefer a
text menu for reliability.  It may be trying to use a graphical menu
and failing to do so.  I forget how these are selected at installation
time.

Note also that the installation media may be used as rescue media
after system installation time.  I am not quite sure the right
combination to suggest but I would boot into rescue mode, start a
shell in the system environment, and then edit the grub boot options.
I am thinking set GRUB_TERMINAL=console in /etc/default/grub and then
run update-grub to re-freeze that configuration.  But perhaps
something different would be more appropriate.

> Does it have anything to do with the external SATA controller?

It is not yet clear based upon the data so far.  It might be.  Or it
might be a problem with the graphical screen from grub.

Since you are freshly installing and have no data already on these
disks I suggest an experiment to eliminate the possibilities.  I would
unplug the PCI card and unplug all of the disks leaving just one
single disk plugged into the SATA port.  Then install again.  I would
not select any desktop environment so that it will install more
quickly and since it is not needed since this is a throwaway test.  If
it works and you get to the grub menu and all is good then you have a
point to start.  Then add in one thing at a time and repeat.  This
will allow you to diagnose where things are failing.

Bob