Re: ISO downloads are corrupted

On 8 January 2013 20:59, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Doug wrote:
> Markos wrote:
> >I don't have any experience with jigdo or torrents.
>
> Some years ago I was trying to install distro with jigdo, and
> gave up.  I have never seen such a confusing, stupid thing
> in my life! If the program is not available as a straight
> download and burn, don't bother with it.

Jigdo has improved greatly from the early days where it needed to be
manually driven.  Now it is very similar to bittorrent versions.

If you are only ever downloading one image then it is easier to
download a simple image.  But that takes a long time and causes a high
load on the single server feeding you and 10,000 of your closest
friends the same image.  After doing that twenty times you start
looking for faster and more efficient ways to do this.  Jigdo and
Bittorrent are huge improvements.

  # apt-get install jigdo-file

  $ mkdir jigdo-stuff
  $ cd jigdo-stuff
  $ jigdo-lite --noask http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.6/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-6.0.6-amd64-CD-1.jigdo
  ...lots of output...

  $ ls -ldog debian-6.0.6-amd64-CD-1.iso
  -rw-rw-r-- 1 678428672 Jan  8 13:56 debian-6.0.6-amd64-CD-1.iso

It is quite easy.  But generally I use the bittorrent images.  If you
have a fast local mirror then jigdo is faster.  But bittorrent for
current images is faster for the general case.  Six of one and a half
dozen for the other.

  $ mkdir bittorrent-stuff
  $ cd bittorrent-stuff
  $ btdownloadcurses http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.6/amd64/bt-cd/debian-6.0.6-amd64-CD-1.iso.torrent
  ...lots of output...
  ...Same thing, debian-6.0.6-amd64-CD-1.iso same as before...

Bob

I find it much faster than bit-torrent but I think my ISP throttle traffic
more so if one sets the mirror to http.debian.net rather than setting it your self

--
About.me http://about.me/dick.thomas
Blog: www.xpd259.co.uk