Re: Wheezy Installer Auto-Partition Oddity

On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 10:15:09AM -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Since my original post, I've been reading up on GPT.  Based on that, plus
> what others have posted here, it seems the cause of the gaps is a combination
> of aligning partitions based 4096 byte sectors, regardless of whether they
> are that size, and LVM needing unpartitioned space between partitions for
> metadata whether you're using LVM or not.  Mostly, the latter, I think.

LVM does not use unpartitioned space for anything TTBOMK.  It uses
physical volumes (PVs) which are block devices (either partitions or
whole disks or RAID arrays etc.).  These are entirely self-contained.
Internally, the PV contains its own metadata and extents which are
allocated to individual logical volumes within the volume group
containing the PV.  It's simply impractical and fragile to use
unpartitioned space, and LVM only uses the devices (partitions) you
put the PVs on.

Regards,
Roger

--