Re: Installation

On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 09:28 +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Am 18.09.2012 um 18:12 schrieb Camaleón:
>
> > On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:54:07 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> >
> >> To look at things from a possibly different perspective: what are the
> >> minimum advance-reading and resulting-understanding requirements, for
> >> install and (separately) for basic system usage, for e.g. Windows?
> >
> > For installing Windows "from scratch" I'd say the requirements are
> > pretty
> > the same: the user will need to know about BIOS booting preferences,
>
> In most cases (99.9%?) the default boot sequence will do it.
>
> > hard
> > disk partitioning strategies
>
> AFAIR Win takes it all, but asks before.
>
> > and filesystem formats,
>
> Win (since Vista) has only NTFS. It's hard to force FAT-formatting for
> e.g. an external USB drive.
> No choice, no pain (for the user).
>
> > network settings and
>
> DHCP.
> If not, then the user needs basic knowledge.
>
> > the basic rules for choosing a username and password.
>
> That's easy.
>
> Helmut Wollmersdorfer

I'm not using Windows, but I agree, it's exactly that easy for Windows
and btw. there are cracked versions, that make installing a stable
Windows much easier. IOW it's possible to get an installer for dummies.
Only and really only PPPoE, POP, SMTP and stuff like that needs some
knowledge, but since most averaged Windows users got access by routers,
DHCP and they won't use a MUA, but the web interface thingy of their
providers, they have nothing to do. Perhaps they should install a
cracked Windows, instead of a legal Windows, to ensure that all
important bugs are removed. Of course, such a cracked Windows should
come from a serious hacker community.
I'm not pro cracked software, I only mention that it's possible to
program good installers that are usable for dummies.

Regards,
Ralf