Re: Installation

On Thu, September 13, 2012 4:20 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 04:10 -0700, Weaver wrote:
>> If you find, in time, that you are running out of drive space, instaal
>> a bigger drive, install the / and swap and again, allocate the rest
>> as /home and copy it over.
>
> How big should / become? Okay, modern drives have that much capacities
> that for an empty drive or much unallocated space, simply fifty-fifty
> should work. But what does argue against having root and home on the
> same partition?

So that, if it is required, you can move your /home to a separate drive if
needed over time.
If you write of an installation of just the one partition, your data
disappears as well. Having a separate /home gives you some protection and
flexibility.
This will be something our newbie would discover as a knowledge
progression, but a pleasant and, on occasion, necessary discovery.

You can always do a reinstall, preserving all data, with a separate /home.
Regards,

Weaver