Re: Installation

On Jo, 13 sep 12, 04:10:36, Weaver wrote:

> > How big? IMVHO a separate /home partition[1] makes sense now[2] only if
> > one can make reasonable guesses about future use. I got it wrong several
> > times and so have many others.
>
> That depends on the size of the drive.
>
> I make a / partition, a swap that is twice the size of RAM - on this box,
> 4 GB, and the rest is just assigned to home.
>
> That way the drive size is the only limiting factor.

Exactly. It will be very difficult to come up with a recipe that works
for hardware still in use. My father is running Debian on a PII-333 MHz
with a 6 GiB HDD. AFAIR I did create a separate /home (can't check right
now), but I did the install and could make a good guess about the needed
space.

There is also much newer hardware that is space limited. AFAIR some of
the first Asus EEE devices only had 8 GiB flash.

> If you find, in time, that you are running out of drive space, instaal a
> bigger drive, install the / and swap and again, allocate the rest as /home
> and copy it over.

Assuming this is possible (BIOS limitations, etc.)

Kind regards,
Andrei