Re: Installation

On Thu, September 13, 2012 12:36 am, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 12 sep 12, 17:12:12, Weaver wrote:

>> > You are assuming the user is interested in learning. In my experience
>> it
>> > is rather the contrary.
>>
>> And I think choice is what Debian is about?
>
> Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by that.

I think that the new user should be able to be able to get past that point
of the install, in order to get a system up and going.
After that it is an individual choice as to what level they want to go in
the learning process or how much they choose to become involved in the
project.

>> It took me months to get on top of cfdisc with Libranet.
>> I didn't know about mailing lists then.
>
> This is not about you and me, or any debian-user subscriber AFAICT. It's
> about the type of users that regard the computer as a tool and have no
> desire to learn about its workings. After all, one can drive a car quite
> well without knowing much about internal combustion engines.

That's right.
Once they have ownership of the car - as a parallel to a successful install.
Hard to drive a car without one.
Regards,

Weaver
--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine