Re: Installation

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 20:23 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 11 sep 12, 13:48:04, David Cho-Lerat wrote:
> >
> > For short : don't try to sound smart, most people are here
> > looking for help, not looking to be impressed by your mastery
> > of the English language. Or by your "clever" one-syllable joke :P
>
> I can only speak for myself and not for any other non-native English
> speakers reading the list, but personally I find it quite useful for me
> to read discussions with and/or between native English speakers. I think
> I might have improved my own English skills a lot since being subscribed
> to debian-user (and other Debian lists).
>
> Besides, this thread is not really about somebody asking for help.

I'm not gifted to learn languages and I don't spend any effort in
learning English. Reading those mails I don't learn better English, but
my word pool and my idioms dictionary does increase.

I guess I already know more words than those listed here:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Basic_English_alphabetical_wordlist

I didn't check the list completely, but I had a brief look and only
found the words "plough/plow" I didn't know by heart.

+1 for elaborated code to increase the vocabulary

+1 for "simple English", it might help to understand syntax and tenses
easier

However, there's a coating of dust on my "Oxford Advanced Learner's
Dictionary of Current English". "Current" = 14. edition from 1983
I understand that elaborated code English speaking people don't like it,
but nowadays many of us use the Urban Dictionary, when I typed "urb..."
autocomplete led to http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ese ,
not a native English word :D and usually I won't use it, but this
happens to all languages on this planet. The German language lost lots
of German, Old Greek and Latin words, but increased by Anglicisms. It's
disgusting for me, so I understand that for native English speakers
gangsta rap English is disgusting too.

ʽPanda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats,
shoots and leaves.ʼ ;)

"Greetz",
Ralf