Re: Installation

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:28:18 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:54:12 +0200, lee wrote:
>>
>>> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> (...)

>>> No, there aren't.
>>
>> In my planet, yes. Everybody I know uses Windows (starting from my
>> mother and ending with my company partners).
>
> That someone uses it doesn't mean that they are able to fix problems.

The simply usage (by pure definition) confers the user some degree of
expertise and while it may not generate "Windows geniuses" it will allow
at least some basic control about how an operating system works.

(...)

>> Today, most of the user-friendly Linux distributions you can find out
>> there (Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Debian...) are as easier to install
>> and deal with as can be Windows or MacOS in the event they all have to
>> be installed from scratch.
>
> My experiences with that are very different.

In what way?

>> So, if Linux is now accesible and easy for consumers, why still those
>> low number for Linux desktops? "Attitude".
>>
>> When a Windows user has a problem (an hey, because of my work, I'm
>> tired of solving Windows problems) the user can easily find someone to
>> fix it so he/she stays with Windows because the problem has gone. This
>> is not happening when the user has Linux. Unless he/she shows a
>> possitive attitude, the problem will stay forever because finding
>> someone that knows about Linux is not that easy.
>
> It's the other way round. People using windoze don't know how to fix
> problems, they live with them.

It will depend on the problem because some problems cannot be avoided:
you solve it or you're completely hosed because your system is not able
to start :-)

> That even includes accepting losing all their data from time to time.
> Just re-install when it gets too bad.

That's not only for Windows users, it also happens here, in linux but
again, it's more an attitude than otherwise.

> Then look around for solutions to problems you can have with Linux, and
> you will find lots of answers and even solutions.

And more problems, unsupported hardware, outdated applications...

> It's not about finding helpful people. It's what people have been made
> to believe.

I don't think so. Windows and Linux are both having their own pros and
cons, and of course, both do have problems of different nature but
problems you have to solve in the end. There are no trouble-free OSes.

>>> There isn't anyone who could solve a problem they might have with
>>> windoze. Ask even an MSCE, and the only thing they say is "I don't
>>> know".
>>
>> I'm a long time Windows user and there was only one time when I
>> contacted MS official support which finally did not solve my issue and
>> I had to figure out by myself.
>
> I've made the same experience, except that I don't use windoze unless I
> get payed for it. Nobody solves problems with windoze.

Maybe is that you haven't searched enough. Indeed there are many forums,
mailing lists and helpful people out there that will try to fix your
issues (have you ever heard about Microsoft MVP?)

>> Microsoft users are one of their most valuable assets, meaning that you
>> don't need to contact Microsoft in order to get a problem solved, the
>> web is plenty of plain users that do their work :-)
>
> No it's not, simply because the users are clueless.

The average joe user has developed some skills on Windows.

>>> Did you read what I wrote?
>>
>> Yes, and I found it funny because most people don't even know that
>> konqueror is a piece of software...
>
> That's why I said they might ask what konqueror is. What makes you think
> that I would expect they know what it is?

Because you linked konqueror with a system reboot.

> Most people don't even know the most basic things. Yet it is expected of
> them to be able to use a computer, so people have assumed an attitude
> that makes them experts, no matter how clueless they are. They try to go
> what appears to them as the way of least resistance and aren't aware of
> the disadvantages.

Clueless people is not what I'm afraid of. Clueless people who want to
remain at their ignorant state perpetually and expect the others solves
their problems is what makes me shiver :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón