Re: Installation

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 17:23:52 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 9. September 2012 schrieb Camaleón:

(...)

>> > Well that just works.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> And you know why that works? Because "you" wanted it worked, not your
>> father. Now imagine your father has to do all the job by his own, do
>> you  still think he is going to maintain his current setup? I really
>> doubt it.

(...)

> Well may father came with an outdated Ubuntu box he bought in some
> discounter and asked me to install it ;).

Now ask yourself what would had happened in the event "you" were not a
variable to consider :-)

> So it wasn´t exactly my wish to have this working.

(...)

What I wanted to say is that maybe your father would have considered
another option should "you" were not available to do the job of
installing linux on his behalf.

>> Back to home, your uncle sends a "beautiful" PowerPoint file by e-mail
>> to  your father and despite LibreOffice can open the file with no
>> problem your father ears no sound. And here is where the real linux
>> hist[eo]ry starts... at this point, unless your father either a) shows
>> a real interest in solving the problem by himself or b) you or someone
>> else is near to solve the problem, 99% of the time your fictional
>> father will simply jump to Windows.
>
> So ignorance of real open standards, well standards that mean to be
> interoperable from the beginning, harms the adoption of Linux? Ignorance
> of a standard that has been formalized way before Microsoft paid their
> standard through the comitee members. Ignorance of a standard thats way
> easier to grasp cause its documentation is to the point…
>
> What a pity.

(...)

Ignorance is a pity by its own definition, but regarding the Linux
adoption, I think it's not the one to blame.

Today there's Internet and users are (or "can be") informed by many
different means. The problem with Linux adoption is that users do not
want to be informed, they only want their computers work with the less
headaches and this is not possible with Linux, which on the other hand,
is where it relies its beauty: Linux forces you to think and to choose.

So in brief, if you ask me if Linux is ready for the desktop I'd say that
yes; it's people who is not ready for Linux.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón