Re: Installation

David Cho-Lerat <david.lerat@asterion.fr> writes:

>> For more than a decade now you need a working computer to install an
>> operating system on another one so that you can acquire information and
>> additional software as needed. Why isn't that included in the installer?
>> Just boot from the installation media and be presented with a working
>> system and an installer, allowing you to switch between them.
>>

> that's called "Debian Live" : http://live.debian.net/

When it already exists, why isn't that part of the installer?

It's a typical page, btw:

1.) How do you find this website? Is it referred to anywhere from [1]?

2.) How the hell are you supposed to know what to download?

3.) How do you download and put it on a storage media I can boot from
    without a working computer? (Most ppl will probably just copy what
    they downloaded to their USB stick or maybe burn the file on a CD
    and then find out they can't boot from it.)

And look at [1]:

It's difficult to figure out what to download. It's very difficult to
find the installer if you want to install testing.

And then you have downloaded it and start installing on your laptop and
it won't work because your wireless card (or something else) doesn't
work. It probably doesn't work with the live image, either.

Do you seriously expect ppl to figure out how to install Debian? The
documentation they have on their websites isn't very good, that's why I
say "typical page" above.

And where's the 40GB (or whatever size it is) Blueray image that has all
the packages plus all the stuff from non-free plus a life system plus
lots of documentation on it so that I can simply download that and boot
and press a button and it just installs and works, without requiring
internet access in the first place? --- The on-board ethernet card of my
desktop doesn't work out of the box, so how the hell am I supposed to
know what to do without a working computer that enables me to look for a
solution?

And where do I go for the downloading and burning? It isn't something
that I could get in an arbitrary computer store somewhere in town.

Can I even burn a blueray disk with what's in Debian?

Now try to explain to an arbitrary person who probably has never
installed any OS and who asks questions like "What is an operating
system?" and "What is a hard disk?" how to install Debian. I guess the
amount of education required is way beyond the scope of an installer.

Then there's the installer itself. It can't even do simple things, like
make a software RAID-1 from two whole disks, let me partition the raid
and install on it. It goes through all the installation, taking my time,
and when it's finally almost done, it tells me it cannot install
grub. Partitioning the disks first and making the RAID from the
partitions doesn't work, either. It's a total failure --- sorry, but
that sucks. (Why hasn't that been fixed in the last 3 years? Instead,
there's a graphical installer which nobody needs and which I wanted to
try because it might work. It freezes the computer when booting, works
really great, yeah ...) So it took a whole day to get at least almost
everything onto the raid, and I'm not happy with it because not
everything is on the raid. Now explain the arbitrary person why they
can't install Debian on a software RAID-1 and why getting close to it
takes a whole day: "Oh it takes a whole day to install and still isn't
right? What kind of crappy software is that? Why don't you use windoze
or a Mac?"

I'm curious, can you put windoze or macos on a software RAID?

[1]: http://www.debian.org/distrib/

--
Debian testing amd64