Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

> On 07. 06. 12 00:33, Weaver wrote:
>  > There are two issues only to consider here:
>  >
>  > (1) Who controls the keys and who controls them.
>  >
>  > (2) I resent any degree of control of the open source software
>  > movement being given over into the control of anybody else.
>  >
>  > Recognise this for what it is.
>  > Microsoft fears us.
>  > Gates admitted this in a recent intermanagement memo.
>

> This is a 2001 memo. A chapter is titled "Openness" and its last
> sentence is quite illuminating.
>
> « Our most potent Operating System competitor is Linux and the phenomena
> around Open Source and free software. The same phenomena fuels
> competitors to all of our products. The ease of picking up Linux to
> learn it or modify some pieces of it is very attractive. The academic
> community, start up companies, foreign governments and many other
> constituencies are putting their best work into Linux. Although we
> cannot make Windows free for commercial use we can do dramatically more
> to make it accessible including parts of the source code. We can make it
> free in restricted areas. [...] We need other creative ideas to allow
> Windows to match the viral nature of Linux. »
>
> A full transcription of the memo:
> http://techrights.org/2009/06/23/bill-gates-afraid-of-gnu-linux/

Excellent!
And that last sentence is where he gets it all wrong.
Right from the Get-Go, at the very beginnings of Microsoft, Gates operates
from a destructive, not creative mindset.
He's incapable of 'matching', so creates hurdles to accessibility.
Also, his thinking is corrupted.
Does he really think that he is going to be able to persuade people to
work for him for nothing?
There have been attempts at that before.
They don't seem to be visible now.
After all this time, he still doesn't understand that the free/open source
software movement works for itself.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,