Re: i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On Fri, 04 May 2012 08:57:16 -0400, Joey L wrote:

(please, reply at the bottom)

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2012 15:33:41 -0400, Joey L wrote:
>>
>>> I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the
>>> latest kernel on debian squeeze.
>>>
>>> but apparently it is not as easy as i thought. does anyone have a
>>> quick tutorial on how to do this ?
>>
>> Debian does not provide compiled kernels for the released versions (now
>> Squeeze) other than the ones located at the backports repository¹.
>>
>> However, you can always grab whatever kernel you prefer from the
>> "kernel.org" site and compile the sources by yourself which is also
>> pretty easy (detailed instrucctions can be found here²).
>>
>> ¹http://backports-master.debian.org/
>> ²http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s06.html.en

> Okay - guys - thanks - i think you convinced me to go with backports :)
> I have added it to my /etc/apt/source-list and ran apt-get update
>
> What do i do next - i have been googling it ...no luck on how to install
> the latest 2.6.X kernel or the latest 3..3.X one.

You can laucnh Synaptic and search for "linux-image-2.6-686 (3.2+44~bpo60
+1)" which will trigger the latest kernel available from the backports.

> Can they both live on the same box ??? I can juist different grub menu
> options - is this possible?

Yes, you can have both kernels installed (that's even recommended) and
boot from either of them. GRUB will set as default the latest kernel to
boot from the menu, but you can always change this afterwards.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón