Re: i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Joey L <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2012 15:33:41 -0400, Joey L wrote:
>>>
>>> I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the latest
>>> kernel on debian squeeze.
>>>
>>> but apparently it is not as easy as i thought. does anyone have a quick
>>> tutorial on how to do this ?
>>
>> Debian does not provide compiled kernels for the released versions (now
>> Squeeze) other than the ones located at the backports repository¹.
>>
>> However, you can always grab whatever kernel you prefer from the
>> "kernel.org" site and compile the sources by yourself which is also
>> pretty easy (detailed instrucctions can be found here²).
>>
>> ¹http://backports-master.debian.org/
>> ²http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s06.html.en
>
> Okay - guys - thanks - i think you convinced me to go with backports :)
> I have added it to my /etc/apt/source-list
> and ran apt-get update
> What do i do next - i have been googling it ...no luck on how to
> install the latest 2.6.X kernel or the latest 3..3.X one.
> Can they both live on the same box ??? I can juist different grub menu
> options - is this possible?

You're welcome.

Did you add "deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports
squeeze-backports main" to your apt sources?

Yes, you can have 2.6.32 and 3.2.0 coexist.

Search for "linux-image" to see all installable kernels.

3.3 isn't available from backports; 3.2 is available because it's the
kernel that'll be used for wheezy. 3.3 is available from the
experimental repo.