Re: Swap space not used

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:

On 04/05/12 15:16, Bret Busby wrote:

<snipped>

I have just tried (repeatedly) to access whitepages.com.au, using
konqueror (one of the web browsers that I have kept allowing
Javascript), and, each time that I try to use the web site, it just
freezes konqueror, requiring me to use the kill switch on konqueror.

whitepages.com.au *doesn't* require javascript....

links whitepages.com.au
arrow down and select Residential
arrow down and enter Surname
arrow down and enter first intial
arrow down and enter Suburb and State.
hit Enter twice
page down to both your results. (using 1080KB RAM)

Works just as well in iceweasel 12.0.1 with NoScript fully enabled.
Ditto Konqueror 4.4.5

Hmm.

It does work in iceweasel 3.5.16, with Javascript disabled

("
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20120421 Iceweasel/3.5.16 (like Firefox/3.5.16)
")

I was wrong - I had a memory that it did not work without Javascript.

I have both java and javascript disabled in iceweasel, so it should not be that it is using java rather than javascript.

But, with Konqueror, when I select the Residential tab, then enter a surname, and then an initial, and then tab to the Location or whatever text box, it freezes with showing 99% downloaded, and, if I try to close the window (after going to alpine, then minimising this window, nothing except the title bar is displayed for the Konqueror window), I get

"
whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person – Konqueror is not responding.

You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the application to quit entirely.
"

causing me to select the Force Quit option.

I have just tried (yet) again, and, in trying to go to the default (business) web page, it got to "140 images of 161 downloaded" and 90%, then it froze.

("
Konqueror
Version 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5)
Using KDE Development Platform 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5)
")

My experience with that web site, is that it is simply malicious.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."