Re: Swap space not used

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

Hm, I've got 4 GB RAM and two swaps, 2.17GiB and 2.43GiB, one on each
HDD I'm using.
I'm doing resource-intensive work with my machine.
4 GB RAM are enough for my needs and I never noticed that a swap was
touched.
For my kind of usage Linux (Debian and several other distros) are able
to handle the RAM without fault.

The rule that a swap should be double as large as the RAM is outdated.

Anyway, some people might need much RAM.

Sometime ago I noticed that some (perhaps all, I didn't checked this)
x86_64 kernels on my machine only access 3.8GB from the 4GB RAM on my
machine (no shared memory for the framebuffer), 32-bit PAE kernels are
all ok. I searched the web and found out that other people, having much
more RAM mounted, have this issue with x86_64 kernels too.

        The computer has 8GB of RAM, and I have found that the
        tendency of web site develpoers, is increased sloppiness, as
        too many web site
        developers appear to work on the principle that computers have
        an
        infinite amount of RAM for them to squander.

I don't think so, since there are still a lot of people using 32-bit
Windows installs that can access less than 4GB. If you've got issues
with 8GB RAM when surfing the Internet, I suspect that some script set
limits for the RAM.

It could simply be malicious web sites.

I have just tried (repeatedly) to access whitepages.com.au, using konqueror (one of the web browsers that I have kept allowing Javascript), and, each time that I try to use the web site, it just freezes konqueror, requiring me to use the kill switch on konqueror.

It is mostly Australian government web sites and Australian government corporate websites, that use Javacript, that cause most problems, as they are simply malicious.

Some of the airlines' web sites are similarly malicious.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."