Re: Supermicro SAS controller

On Thu, 03 May 2012 13:05:55 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

<snipped>

> His disks are fine.  The Marvell SAS driver is problem.  This is a
> thoroughly documented.  The mvsas driver is simply crap.

Something that the Supermicro support told me just came back into my mind
and worries me: With the Norco RPC-4220 case I should use Enterprise
grade disks.

Here's what they wrote:
> If the harddrives are Desktop grade then they cannot cope with the
> vibrations of a storage Server chassis nor 19" rack vibrations

But since I replaced all the ventilators with quiet ones that are mounted
with some kind of rubber sticks instead of screws there shouldn't be much
vibration. Or are the vibrating disks a problem?

Can I somehow observe how healthy they still are? Maybe with smartctl or
something similar?

<snipped>

Thanks again for all the information!
Ramon