Re: How do I remove a bad file??

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Dennis Wicks:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I have a file that looks like the following in an ls list;
>>
>> -????????? ? ?    ?             ?                ? Inbox.msf
>>
>> I can't do anything with it. Can't mv, rm, cp, or anything else I
>> have thought of to get rid of it or write over it.
>>
>> Any ideas how I can get this thing out of my life??
>
> Fsck the filesystem.

Do this.  Trying to remove the file with rm is a mistake.  From what
you've posted here, it's the file metadata that's bad and that's not
stored in the file but the filesystem.  The permissions, link count,
ownership, and modification time are all unknown.  This indicates a
filesystem problem, not a problem with the file itself.

fsck the filesystem, do not attempt to remove the file using rm.

--
Chris