Re: How do I remove a bad file??

On Thu, 03 May 2012 13:35:51 -0400, Dan wrote in message
<[🔎] 4FA2C1F7.9020005@kempt.net>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >> That looks like a Mozilla SeaMonkey or Thunderbird mail _index_
> >> file.
> >>
> >> If it is, it can be deleted and SeaMonkey/Thunderbird will
> >> re-create it (from the corresponding mail data file) the next time
> >> the corresponding mail folder is opened/viewed.
> >>
> >> In my experience (as a long-time Mozilla user and occasional mail
> >> file hacker--but _not_ developer or expert), the only thing the OP
> >> might lose is his or her choice of display order (by date vs.
> >> sender, etc., and whether threaded display or not).
> >
> > ..that sounds like the very best case scenario.
>
> No.  Losing the display order setting is probably the _worst-case_
> scenario

..in most cases where I see weird ass file listings like OP's
"-????????? ? ?    ?             ?                ? Inbox.msf",
I usually see _several_ more, and often a _big_ messy pile down
one or more fs /lost+found/*, ymmv.

> --mail messages are stored in a separate file, so deleting
> Inbox.msf definitely will not lose the mail message data in Inbox.
>
> Most of Inbox.msf is just indexing of Inbox for quicker listing of
> header in the UI and quicker access to the data in Inbox, and
> SeaMonkey re-creates Inbox.msf and that indexing data if Inbox.msf
> doesn't exist when you try to accessing the Inbox folder.

..yes, if we and OP are lucky, you're right.  Meanwhile,
I recommend prudence and caution.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: