Re: *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Shane Johnson
<sdj@rasmussenequipment.com> wrote:
> Muhammad,
> I think we are going to need some mere information please.  You mentioned
> that this is on a raid, correct.  Is your lvm on top of the raid?  Which
> level of raid?

i am using RAID 1

  Where is your /boot mounted or / if boot isn't on it's own
> partition.

i have two drives 320 GB

boot 1 GB and /  (rest of the drive) are on md0 and md 2\
sawp md1 (4gb)

i have 1 800 GB drive

RAID 1  but other drive was absent i was planing to add the other
drive in array in few days but unfortunately this things happen

> Things I have done in the past, is use a Live CD for same

can you please give me the path of debian live CD iso. actually i was
trying to boot my system with clonzilla live CD lets see if debian can
help.

> version and arch of Debian you are on and if necessary install mdadm and
> lvm2 so that I could try and reconstruct what I had before.  Luckily for me,
> I was one test systems when I buggered things up too much.  It sounds like
> you are on a live system- that makes things harder.  Best of the Worst case
> scenarios from my limited experience would be having to restore from

> backups. If you don't have good backups its the worst of the worst and you
> could end up doing a complete restore from scratch).
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> at least there should be a way to reach the command prompt. is there
>> any way to ignore this error and reach the command prompt so i can
>> just copy the necessary data.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> Archive:
>> [🔎] CAGWVfMk8GJw_roLcBzYaV9zK2c4+XtjjqRpGuVyOev3w+kEGpA@mail.gmail.com" target="_blank">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] CAGWVfMk8GJw_roLcBzYaV9zK2c4+XtjjqRpGuVyOev3w+kEGpA@mail.gmail.com
>>

> --
> Shane D. Johnson
> IT Administrator
> Rasmussen Equipment

The path to the CD downloads is http://www.debian.org/CD/ Pick you poison on how you want to download it.

If I am understanding your situation correctly, you have 3 disks.  2 320GB disks are mirrored for md0 and then  you have your LVM on top of that.  Then  you have disk 3 as swap (md1).

Where you had the mirror active when you where trying to resize the corruption would probably be on both disks.

I would use the live cd and look at each one separately and see if the filesystems on both are the new size or the old.  If you have one that is ok, you can use mdadm to drop the bad disk from the raid then add it back later after you system boots from the good disk so that it becomes the mirror of the good drive.  Otherwise you are going to have to try and use the live cd to try and get to your data.  Reconstruct your system then put back the data you can.  If you aren't using mdadm for your raid and just using LVM then you will access the fstab on the system and point it to the mirrored drive if it is still good.

Good luck Mohammud.

Shane