Re: cpu frequency management opteron lost?

On Tue, 01 May 2012 16:30:12 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> I used to have my CPU frequency scaled back to 1000 Mz (from 2200 MHz)
> which I could see in my Gnome2 applet.
>
> 1. Is there an application with which I can check the actual speed?

cpufreq-info -e

> 2. Can I manage the speed?

Mmm... yes.

> 3. If so, how?

cpufreq-set

> Running "/etc/init.d/cpufreqd start" just reports:
> panoramix:/home/jkr# /etc/init.d/cpufreqd start
> Starting CPU Frequency daemon: cpufreqd failed!

I don't seem to have that service (in lenny and wheezy I've got
"cpufrequtils" instead) but if I were you, I'd take a look into these two
files:

/usr/share/doc/cpufreqd/README.Debian
/etc/default/cpufreqd

Maybe is that you need to configure something :-?

> I have looked at the output of "cpufreqd -D -V 7" but that did not help.
>
> cpufreq-utils:
> panoramix:/home/jkr# cpufreq-info
> cpufrequtils 007: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009 Report
> errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please. analyzing
> CPU 0:   no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(...)

This can give you some clue.

> lsmod:
> panoramix:/home/jkr# lsmod | grep cpu
> cpufreq_userspace      12576  0
> cpufreq_conservative    13147  0
> cpufreq_stats          12866  0
> cpufreq_powersave      12454  0

I can't see "acpi_cpufreq" loaded... hum, wait, for AMD should be
"powernow-k8" insetad, right? Is it loaded?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón