cpu frequency management opteron lost?

Hi,

I used to have my CPU frequency scaled back to 1000 Mz (from 2200 MHz)
which I could see in my Gnome2 applet.

1. Is there an application with which I can check the actual speed?
2. Can I manage the speed?
3. If so, how?

Running "/etc/init.d/cpufreqd start" just reports:
panoramix:/home/jkr# /etc/init.d/cpufreqd start
Starting CPU Frequency daemon: cpufreqd failed!

I have looked at the output of "cpufreqd -D -V 7" but that did not help.

cpufreq-utils:
panoramix:/home/jkr# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 007: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
analyzing CPU 1:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms

lsmod:
panoramix:/home/jkr# lsmod | grep cpu
cpufreq_userspace      12576  0