Re: Supermicro SAS controller

On 5/1/2012 8:35 AM, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2012-05-01 11:53:27, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to use a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
>> as controller for a software raid.
>
> I have a different SuperMicro board and it can run in two
> different modes, forget their names for it, but one supports soft
> raid and the other does not (IT or something).  I needed to flash
> the firmware to use the latter, then use mdadm to configure a
> Linux soft array.

Then you must have the 8 port PCI-X AOC-SAT2-MV8, w/Marvell 88SX6081
SATAII controller.  This chip uses the Linux sata-mv driver, which works
fine.

The AOC-SASLP-MV8 has the Marvell 88SE6480 SAS controller chip.  This
chip uses the mvsas driver, which has simply never worked properly and
often causes massive data loss.  Not a desirable trait in a storage driver.

--
Stan