Re: upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude (now with added apt)

On 05/04/12 04:24, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 4. April 2012 schrieb Scott Ferguson:
>>> Hope this explains,

<snipped>

> It would be nice if I could now whether I installed a packages manually
> via dpkg -i and m-a a-i, well which uses dpkg, it whether apt-get or
> aptitude installed it, i.e. whether I installed the package via a package
> manager or a package repository manager.

I agree, that would be a very useful ability. I've recently had to deal
with a, um, "differently" designed network where the boxes mixed
releases and had a lot of self-built packages. Such a capability would
have saved us considerable time.
It's possible it can already be done (by someone knowledgeable), but I
don't see anything in dpkg status or logs that hold that info.

Perhaps just alias some logging to dpkg?

> This way I could purge files that are still no longer available in the
> archive but have been before, without removed self compiled kernels,
> modules or packages installed from files.

I just use hold for custom packages, and let autoremove, deborphan, and
(rarely) debfoster do the work.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-