Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On 03/04/12 09:08, Paul E Condon wrote:
On 20120402_234538, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 4/2/2012 9:43 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:

This is the du command and results:
root@gq:/# du -k -s -c /[^pm]* /m[^e]*

4	/home

Is your /home empty?  Your du command seems to think so.  That's hard to

Yes. It was empty at the time at which the du command was run. The
normal contents of /home had been moved to /mpb2.  I say where the
/home stuff is in the post to which you replied. When I did the move,
I had no idea that I was going to find this puzzle, but I do recall
thinking that the move went very fast, too fast for there to be much
data in /home.

Did the data move over correctly? I'm just wondering if it is still on the original disk somewhere, like in the /mpb2 directory before the new filesystem was mounted over it.

I'd try bringing the system up in recovery mode, unmount all ext3 file systems (except /, obviously) and run the du command again. You might find data that was concealed under the mount points.

0	/initrd.img
0	/initrd.img.old
0	/vmlinuz
0	/vmlinuz.old

How are these files occupying 0 KB of disk?

That is part of my problem. The disk seems to be corrupted.

No. This is normal and the correct behaviour. Those files are symlinks to the real files and take no space other than a single directory entry each.

20	/mpa2
20	/mpa3
4	/mpb1

Do these 3 dirs you created really only contain 44 KB total?

Why the disagreement between df and du ? How is it possible?

See the discrepancies above?  Your du isn't reflecting reality of what's

Yes, I see them. I made my post because I saw them and wanted help in
explaining them. But how can you conclude that it is du that is wrong?

I suspect it isn't. It isn't showing files because it can't get to them. So my suggestion above.

Regards.
--
Dom