Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On 20120402_143034, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 02:12:03PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > It is my understanding that the directory that one wishes to use in
> > TMPDIR must be mentioned in a line in /etc/fstab for this to work, and
> > a block special mountable device must be mentioned in that line.
>
> This understanding is incorrect.  TMPDIR is just an environment
> variable which may be set to any directory of your choice, which
> will then be used as the default place to put temporary files.
> It does not care about fstab or any other settings.
>
> > And
> > this is the way it does work on my system. Choise of TMPDIR did not
> > have this restriction in the past. This change has implications for
> > many packages.
>
> I sincerely doubt it does work this way on your system.  There has
> not, and will not be, any change to TMPDIR.  Not least of which it
> being an application-level feature typically used by functions
> opening/creating temporary files, none of which have been changed.
> What is or is not mounted on /tmp will not make one jot of
> difference.
>
> > My point is that competent developers should check this
> > out.
>
> I will be happy to investigate upon better understanding of what
> "this" actually is.  It will need some concrete information though,
> including exact details of how to reproduce any problems, and it
> should also show it's something that was working in stable, otherwise
> it's not a related issue.  I'll need to know what you did, what you
> observed and what you expected; currently you haven't provided any
> useful information.
>
> Just for the record, when these changes were introduced (nearly a
> year ago, BTW), I extensively tested with *all* combinations of
> RAMTMP and fstab entries.  I made sure they all worked, including
> every feature such as overriding the defaults.   In all this time, no
> one has complained that the logic was broken.  (That the defaults
> were suboptimal, sure, but not that it did not work.)
>

> There is *no* magic going on here.  Read the init scripts to confirm
> this for yourself.
> mountkernfs.sh:
> - if RAMTMP=yes, a tmpfs is mounted on /tmp.  The defaults are taken
>   from /etc/default/tmpfs (or /etc/fstab in preference if an entry
>   for tmpfs on /tmp exists).
> - if RAMTMP=no, we do nothing.  Nothing *at all*.
> mountall.sh:
> - if there's an entry for /tmp in /etc/fstab, it's mounted just like
>   a regular filesystem.  So if RAMTMP was no, and no entry exists in
>   fstab, nothing will be mounted.
>
> So, as I already mentioned to you in private email last week, which
> you appear to have either not read or misunderstood, according to the
> continuing discussion here, all you need to do is:
> 1) Set RAMTMP=no
> 2) Remove any entries for /tmp from /etc/fstab
> and /tmp will just be the same directory on the root filesystem you
> [...]

Roger,

The possibility that I am hallucinating has occurred to me.  I don't
know what I can do to clear my mind. I continue to see my vision. If
what I see is real, others will find it. If real, perhaps it is
hardware dependent. I don't know. I do know that I have nothing
further to give to this discussion. Please accept my inadequacy and
move on. I, of course, with have to learn to live with it, but I will
try very had to be quiet about it in public, and try to speak of it
only to my psychiatrist.

Peace.
--
Paul E Condon