Re: Problem with NetworkManager - WAS: Re: Help needed to repair a damaged dual boot Debian System

Bernard wrote:
> Now that I wish to get rid of 'wicd', just in case it
> would interfer with 'NetworkManager', I can't get rid of it !
>
> #apt-get remove wicd
>
> did remove it, so it said... if I try to remove it again, it says
> that it is no longer there... however, I can still see 'wicd network
> manager' on my gnome desktop, and, if I launch it, it still
> disconnects my Internet link, and is still unable to reconnect it !

It is probably removed but not purged meaning that configuration files
that may have been customized by the local admin are not removed.  You
can tell if you look at it like this:

  $ dpkg -l wicd

and if it lists it as "rc" then there are still configuration files
left in the package.  To remove the configuration files too it needs
to be purged.

  # dpkg --purge wicd

> #ifup and #ifdown eth0, it seems to work... I repeat: it "SEEMS TO
> WORK" but it does not REALLY work !!  Here is what I see:
>
> #ifup eth0
> receive packet failed on eth0: Network is down
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
> DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
> DHCPREQUEST on eth0...............
> DHCPACK form 192.168.1.1
> SIOCADDRT: File exists
> bound to 192.168.1.15 -- renewal in 40322 seconds.

Looks okay.

> at this point, if I start again the command:
>
> #ifup eth0
>
> I get this:
>
> ifup: interface eth0 already configured (which I agree was expected
> as normal !)

Again looks okay.

> ifdown disconfigure eth0 ; ifup reconfigures it...  Except that,
> whether it is configured or disconfigured, the network (the Internet
> network) is up and running, as if it did not care whether ifup had
> it configured or not !  (I must state that I have no wireless
> connexion on this machine, just one wired ethernet connexion, no
> more).

What do you mean?  You say the network is up and running but *exactly*
are you seeing?  Because if you "ifdown eth0" it should disable eth0.

> Ooh... Well... let me see... I just finished testing something... As
> previously stated, 'wicd' only works in the purpose of disconnecting
> ; it never reconnects ; it does that job even though I have
> supposedly removed it... I just tested disconnecting with wicd...

If ifup and ifdown are working then it means that you have the
interface listed in /etc/network/interfaces.  If you have that then
wicd and network manager will both ignore the interface, as they are
programmed to do.  If you want wicd to manage the interface then you
have to remove it from /etc/network/interfaces.

Bob