Problem with NetworkManager - WAS: Re: Help needed to repair a damaged dual boot Debian System

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Ma, 28 feb 12, 19:35:00, Bernard wrote:
stuff deleted......
/dev/hdc3, but now my only CDROM drive does work on /dev/hda (hda as is,
not on hda1 or whatever, which I did find weird though). It does work,

This is normal, since CD-ROMs don't have partitions.

and also I am now able to boot on a system CD !!  So, I could possibly
decide to re-install... I could also decide to use my machine "as is"
since it now operates almost as it did before, with only one CDROM and
no CD writer (but I don't need that on this particular machine) ; I just
changed the /boot/grub/menu.lst and replaced "/dev/sda3 by "/dev/hdc3".

Security support for lenny has ended. The Release Team is preparing a final point release before archiving it. It's high time you upgrade to squeeze. Part of the squeeze upgrade grub1 will be upgraded to grub2 and configurations referencing hard disks will be migrated to UUID (instead of device names, which are not reliable).

Since you are considering a clean re-install anyway may I suggest you first upgrade to squeeze, and then, if you are still not satisfied with the outcome, do a clean *squeeze* install.

Kind regards,
Andrei
Thanks for this advice. I just finished upgrading to Squeeze on this system. What a surprise ! Now on this new system, my HD is again reckognized as sda3 ! Still, one of my CD drives is not working, but I don't really care since I don't need two CD drives on that one PC.

So, everything seems to work fine... except for the 'NetworkManager' ! On that machine, I only have a wired ethernet connexion ; there is no wlan chipset for now ; I will install one soon. So, the Internet connexion happens automatically upon booting. But, as a difference with my other machines (still running Lenny), the NetworkManager tool on the Gnome desktop does not operate as an ON and OFF switch as I like to use it.

(Indeed, if I leave the computer running and unattended for hours, I hate if the machine remains connected all the time. Under MSWIN, you can't easily switch connexions ON and OFF (or you have to disconnect cables... or use complicate processes...), but I found it very convenient on Linux).

But now, this no longer seems to operate ! The NetworkManager icon is still there, but it always shows 'not connected', even if a connexion is up and running. Whether I 'activate' of 'deactivate' the network with this tool doesn't change anything ! So, I installed 'wicd'... Well, 'wicd' IS able to disconnect my network, but then, once disconnected, there is no way I can reactivate the connexion ! Reactivating does not operate ! To reconnect, I did not find any convenient way other than rebooting !

Thanks in advance for your help with the 'NetworkManager' or any other convenient tool that would operate on Squeeze so as to easily turn an Internet connexion ON and OFF