Re: Problem with NetworkManager - WAS: Re: Help needed to repair a damaged dual boot Debian System

Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
Andrei POPESCU,  3.03.2012:
On Sb, 03 mar 12, 20:59:30, Bernard wrote:
Thanks in advance for your help with the 'NetworkManager' or any
other convenient tool that would operate on Squeeze so as to easily
turn an Internet connexion ON and OFF
Make sure you have NO definition for eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces and that you have:

[ifupdown]
managed=false

in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

If it still doesn't work after a restart[1] please attach both files.

[1] not sure why, but in some cases new configurations did not work properly until a full restart

Or you can keep /etc/network/interfaces as you have it now and edit
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to have

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true

(And you have to restart Network Manager.)

I just tested both ways, to no avail.

At first, I must say that my system did not have any

NetworkManager.conf file in /etc/NetworkManager/

The only NetworkManager.conf file that could be found on this system was in

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/

I can see the same thing on this other machine still on Lenny, where I am writing this from: no /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file either.

the man page for NetworkManager does not mention any such conf file. I did not dare modifying /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf

But I tested creating an /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf, with only
****************************

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=false
******************************

As a first trial, I had just written:

***********************
[ifupdown]
managed=false
*************************

in it. But maybe I should have modified permissions and owner ?  Owner was root and perms: -rw-r--r--

Besides, my /etc/network/interfaces file did not contain any definition for eth0. Still, I tested removing any mention of eth0, to no avail.

Below is my  'etc/network/interfaces' file :

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface