Re: Lenny (Debian 5.0) approaching end of life

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:36:07 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Mi, 04 ian 12, 17:37:42, Camaleón wrote:
>> >
>> > No new Lenny updates after 6 February 2012.
>>
>> Yes, unfortunately Debian team changed their mind at the middle of the
>> proccess. This unforeseen change forces me to keep my lenny systems
>> until wheezy is released which means having unpatched servers and
>> workstations for months ;-(
>
> Could you elaborate on the "change of mind"?

Sure (this was also discussed in this same list, time ago...). The
possibility of jumping from Lenny to Wheezy was oficially mentioned here:

Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes
http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2009/msg00009.html

And this announcement was not corrected nor modified afterwards (unless I
missed something), so I managed the installation on my Lenny systems
having in mind such statement which it finally turned out to be not
possible :-)

> As far as I know (but can't find the reference right now) oldstable is
> supported one year after a stable release or until the next release,
> whichever comes *first*[1].
>
> [1] Since Debian has been releasing once about every 2 years this
> usually means oldstable is supported only one year after the release.

You mean this doc:

***
http://www.debian.org/security/faq.en.html#lifespan

Q: How long will security updates be provided?

A: The security team tries to support a stable distribution for about one
year after the next stable distribution has been released, except when
another stable distribution is released within this year. It is not
possible to support three distributions; supporting two simultaneously is
already difficult enough.
***

Yes, I was also aware of that document at the time I decided to migrate
from openSUSE to Debian. But -in the meantime- it came out the
possibility of having release freeze periods and the above mentioned
announcement lead me to think, in order to accomodate to the new release
plan, as a exceptional measure, lenny users could jump to wheezy.

However, it is still unclear to me if we have now adopted such stable
release freeze cycle, because wheezy is expected to be freeze on June
2012 and not December 2012 (nor it was on December 2011) :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón