Re: procmail, problem with this delivering recipe

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 23:18:59 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

>> there were actually more piping commands between formail & $SENDMAIL in
>> my rcfile.
>
> Yes.  But as noted that is incorrect.  Only one action line is allowed
> there.

Hmm..., actually, it is correct. True, that there can only be exactly one
action line, but that doesn't prevent me from concatenating consequent
lines together with a trailing '\', just like what I'm doing in make as
well.

All those complicated piping will form a *single* action line. I've
checked the log, procmail is OK with that, no error or complains, and I
get exactly what I want from the $SENDMAIL command. Ie, everything is
working fine, just that procmail considers it a non-delivering recipe,
which seems strange to me.

Further probing shows that, procmail considered the mail *header* is
delivered and went on trying to deliver the mail *body* -- all such
delivered messages are from 'foo@bar' and without any header.

Just as a comparison, if not delivering to pipe but to a file, to be
considered as a delivering recipe:

"When you drop something to /dev/null, use the h flag so that procmail
does not unnecessarily try to feed whole message there"

      :0 h
      * condition
      /dev/null

http://pm-doc.sourceforge.net/doc/#flag_h_and_sinking_to_devnull