Re: problematic poweroff on shutdown

On 2012-01-02, Ashton Fagg <ashton@fagg.id.au> wrote:
> G'day Curt.
>
> On 03/01/12 02:34, Curt wrote:
>> There's nothing in the logs to distinguish the no poweroff shutdowns
>> from the poweroff ones (I don't think; I have looked).
>
> I wouldn't think there would be at the very end, because everything is
> expecting to be powered off. Which makes everything all the more tricky.
> I'm assuming this is a laptop?

This is not a laptop.  This is an Acer x1430 running debian squeeze.

> There's a couple of things you can try, but I would suggest looking at
> playing about with "reboot=" kernel parameters. This is a pretty
> straight-forward thing to set up but will require some trial and error
> to see what works. Have a look here:

> http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/08/04/howto-fix-linux-hangfreeze-during-reboots-and-restarts/
>
> (Just press "e" and add them to the kernel temporarily initially. If you
> find one that works you can set it up in grub later on)
>
> Also, does this occur only on shutdown? Does it happen sometimes if
> you're rebooting rather than powering off?

There are no freezes or hangs, nor does this have anything to do with
rebooting the machine; after the shutdown procedure has terminated,
the machine periodically simply fails to power off.  That is all.

> Another option is to update to a newer kernel - could please clarify
> what you're using (Squeeze, Wheezy etc)?

curty@einstein:~$ uname -a
Linux einstein 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 3 03:41:26 UTC 2011 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Thanks for your time.